Re: UPDATE re Coyote Crisis

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jan 28 1999 - 13:53:49 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:53:49 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: UPDATE re Coyote Crisis

In a message dated 1/28/99 1:24:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kirk_69@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis writes:

<< It is ALREADY a royal PITA (pain in the arse) to get out to the wind for us
folks
 that sail sinkers or float to our knees type boards. I suppose we can get to
3rd
 Ave and take some of those unused parking spaces. Shouldn't be a problem now
that
 I work for myself and can get there at 1PM to get a spot...

 No matter how you slice it, it seems we are losing quality and quantity this
year.

 Kirk >>

Kirk,

We all know it is a pain in the ass. The question is, how do you translate the
sense of what a pain in the ass it is to non-windsurfers. On the face of it, a
10% loss of wind in a limited area doesn't sound like much of a problem to the
layman... they will never have to swim the last 300 yards to the beach. A
number of us need to write clear letters explaining that the conditions in the
channel demand small boards wave oriented boards while the impacted areas will
require slalom type gear. The problem is not just the reduced wind speed in
the impacted area, but the increased differential between the wind on the
inside and the wind on the outside. The greater differential means either
people on big boards getting beaten up on the outside or people on small
boards swimming home or getting flooded down past the point. The key is
explaining these things in a way that is understandable to planners and the
public.

As it stands now the report will show impact of reduced wind as "Less than
Significant" and mitigation measures will be "None Required."

If the buildings cannot be moved or reduced in height, mitigation measures
such as improving or aquiring other access could be pushed for... maybe a ramp
and extended hours at that little access at the upwind near the drive-in?
Maybe they could buy a piece of the drive-in with enough room for more cars to
park there as well?

Letters by 3/8/99 to City of Burlingame Planning Dept, Attn Meg Monroe, City
Planner, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, CA 94010

Planning Meeting re. Draft EIR on 2/22/99, 7 pm
City Council Chambers - City of Burlingame

Peter