Re: UPDATE re Coyote Crisis

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 12:10:21 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:10:21 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: UPDATE re Coyote Crisis

Some broad tactical questions:

1) Experts

If we could find an expert likely to carry weight with city planners, would
people be willing to kick in some dough for at least an assesment of the
report conducted by the consulting firm. There are some schools like Texas
Tech and SUNY Buffalo that have wind engineering departments. If we could get
someone interested in the issue, maybe they could pull down the .pdf copy of
the report and assess the methodology and conclusions.

2) Mitigation

If we could show that a 'significant impact' exists, there needs to be
mitigation. One approach is to try for major mitigation like no buildings or
smaller buildings and likely get less than was asked for. Another approach
would be to suggest other mitigation options that the City would view as
compromise positions.

Is there INTEREST trying to push the developer, to get together with city,
SFBA, BCDC et al to create a new launch north of the building site. Is it
VIABLE? I have launched from the little lot/park (Fishermans Park?) that is
located where Airport Boulevard bends 90 degrees heading toward Embassy
Suites. The launch currently involves climbing down 10' of very disorganized
concrete debris but then puts you right in the wind. Maybe we could get a ramp
there? I'm guessing from an aerial shot that the lot holds maybe 60 cars, but
I'm not sure. I think the lot has limited hours, so we would also want the
city to extend hours. Is there another spot between Embassy and Coyote? Would
runway expansion plans might play in?

Peter