Re: sunday at the coast - gear sacrifice !

From: Paul Delzio (pdelzio@real.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 11:31:42 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:31:42 -0800
To: Alain Dumesny <adumesny@usa.net-DeleteThis>, wind_talk <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Harald Batista <harald_batista@vantive.com-DeleteThis>, David Roberson <dcrobins@us.ibm.com-DeleteThis>
From: Paul Delzio <pdelzio@real.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: sunday at the coast - gear sacrifice !

Well after getting my personal call from Mr D, I dropped all family
obligations and I trekked out to the coast via Hwy 92.
This was a mistake as pumpkinmania had this hwy pretty much closed..it took
over 1 hour to travel 10 miles.
Ever determined I plowed onward and was soon heading down Hwy 1. Plenty of
wind everywhere.
I almost stopped at Martin's beach and also at Gazo's creek..but no i went
to Davenport to see nothing :(
Evermore determined I went north and decided not to be the target of cliff
humor I headed to Waddell.
There I rigged a 5.3 on a 9'1" and sailed marginally from 3:00 - 4:30. The
slogs out thru the mast high break was interesting.
The rip tide was very strong. But the waves were BIG when you came in..only
worth about 3 bottom turns until they would close out..at which time you
pinched hard to get back up the shore.

Conclusion: "the season is over"
Repeat after me "the season is over"

The End

At 08:51 AM 10/26/98 -0800, Alain Dumesny wrote:
>Pierre predicted that there might be some clearing winds sunday, so
>I got all ready to go to the coast. Got to Davenport at 1, only to see
>about 6 cars parked, one rigging and a couple people checking the
>conditions. Nasty shore break, constant stuff breaking in the upper
>reef, and lower reef looked ok at times, but definitely not the
>nicest looking waves. No-one out yet. Heard most people were heading
>for Scott's and 5 minutes later everybody had left (including the guy
>rigging), so I decided to check scott.
>
>Got to scott and was surprised to see the parking along the highway so
>full. I soon realized why... huge mast high sets were coming in and
>were the entire length of the beach ! about 20 or so people were
>watching on the cliff a few brave soles going out (or not). Wind was
>pretty good - 5.2 sizes and filled in. more and more people get getting
>out (about a dozen at any one time) with about the same number crashing
>back in. It was quite a sight! people we watching, cheering and feeling
>pain for those getting slammed by those huge monsters....
>
>during the 2 hours I was there watching, I counted 10 broken masts
>(someone got 12) and at least 3 trashed sails with intact mast. Whoaaa !
>I felt better about not going out... that was 1 out of 3 people trashing
>their gear. Not a good ratio... nice spot to watch on the cliff, warm
>in the sun and safe on land... :-)
>
>the wind later died on the inside, the waves got smaller (still nasty
>breaks though) and people were still throwing equipment at the
>gods... shops must love those days...
>
>*------------------------------------------------------------------*
>Alain Dumesny |\ Platinum Technology inc.
>adumesny@usa.net-DeleteThis | \ Cosmo Lab - VRML architect
> | o ---
> |-=|> ----
> |_//_\ ---