weather feedback

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 13:54:45 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:54:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: weather feedback

> The following message is forwarded from Stuart Wier at NOAA. Please
> respond to him: wier@dolphin.fsl.noaa.gov-DeleteThis
>

> Any and all ideas will be considered for modernized marine
> weather products. Web weather charts, for example, with a resolution
> of say 5 miles - would you like those? For every three hours?
>

> What do you want from marine weather sources?
> Wind?
> Waves? (Do you want direction or period as well as height?)
> sea surface temperature?
> Precip?
> Clouds?
> MSL pressure or front charts?
> air temperature?
> Fog?
> Thunderstorm indications?
> How far out do you want forecasts? 12 hours? 2 days? 5 days more?

Here is the response I sent. I encourage you all to let him know
what you think.

I collect weather data for windsurfers in SF Bay and along the coast
from Bodega to Monterey. I put out an hourly report via web and e-mail.
See http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Ken_Poulton/wrpt.html for the
current one.

I pull NWS airport observations from several Internet sites, plus other
sites like Long Marine Lab, and the PORTS sensors in the bay. I get
NOAA aviation, marine and land forecasts from several Internet sites.

Our main desire is for data that is that it be more timely. In
windsurfing in the Bay Area, the difference between 15 knots and 20 is
the difference between a lousy day and a great one. Since the wind
typically jumps up by 5-15 knots around 2:00 in the afternoon, a
3-hour-old report is not any help in guessing whether to go sailing now.

Our wish list:

    Hourly data from all stations. The ones in the the SF Bay
    "environmental buoy and coastal weather reports" are mostly only
    updated every three hours.

    Better vertical profiling information. There are 900 MHz profilers
    at Monterey and Bodega, but they will only show plots. We really
    need to extract the marine layer thickness into a short text report.

    Better attention to microclimates in the marine forecasts.
    All of SF Bay gets split into at best two sentences.

    Wave observations with direction if possible.

    2-day forecasts are really desirable.

Thanks for asking!

Meteorology, n.: A psychology of the science of finding a pattern in the
randomness of weather behavior in order to forecast future random
weather behavior events. -- Jonathan Leffler