Re: Sun at Coyote

From: Scott Winkler (scott@force4.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 16:31:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 16:31:02 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Scott Winkler <scott@force4.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sun at Coyote

Just at the point when it looks like planing is possible, I too bear off.
It seems like this point of sail optimizes available wind energy
translating into board speed. Up until this point, however, there seems
nothing to be gained by falling off and getting pushed further into the
wind hole. On the way back in, there are two things going on. First, I'm
usually making my "final approach" from further upwind, where the wind is
stronger. I bear off and put the hammer down for max speed. In the days
before deep nose rocker boards, this made for some spectacular crashes as
the nose of the older boards would dig into the back of chop! As you
approach the schlog zone, your momentum will carry you into the zone, and
it takes less air to maintain a plane vs pop you up onto one.
None-the-less, it seems everytime I sail Coyote, I still end up doing the
last 40 yards in a dead downwind hula.

At 03:12 PM 9/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
<snip>

>Scott, thanks for the tip on staying upwind on the inside. I was
>wondering why I always seemed to be more powered coming in than going
>out. When I was going out, I was trying to go faster by bearing off
>but I think that was counterproductive as it got me deeper into the
>shadow.
>
>--
>Martin Frankel |||| mdf@sgi.com-DeleteThis |||| (650)933-6191

Scott Winkler