RE: Re VHF Radio

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 13:36:27 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Re VHF Radio
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:36:27 -0700

I picked up the 940 earlier this year. Fortunately for me I have not had
a chance to try it out with the Coasties yet so I don't know how well they
will pick it up from the channel but I assume they would pick me up better than
another hand held from shore (which I've been told works at 1watt). Coasties
have better antennas, at least on land. I don't know about their boats but you
hope they are closer to you ;).

The 940 is small and seems to be pretty solid. I wanted something that would hold
up to the beating out there and I would have spent more if I thought I needed to. I
tried tucking it in my wetsuit but I didn't like it in there. Right now I'm carrying
it in a small "dry pack" with some flares and a strobe. I want to try sewing a pouch
on my PFD to tuck it in when I get industrious.

IMHO: Do get a radio and carry a strobe too, when you think about it, it's really cheap
insurance for the cost of a used sail at a swap.

-dave veach