Re: Best place to practice waterstarts

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 07:26:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:26:04 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Best place to practice waterstarts

I would suggest that Coyote Pt is the WORST place to learn waterstarts.

 This yr, the wind has often been dead inside. I went there from
Shoreline after I'd done a few waterstarts and it was awful as people
say "rig 5oh" as it is blowing 22 outside and yet it is only 6-12
inside. You often get swells inside from the outside wind and yet not
enough wind for even us oldies to get a waterstart until we get a puff.

Where I really learned was at San Luis where you can walk back upwind
still in the water. Only later did I hear of 3rd Ave... Third, when the
tide is right is also great as you can walk all the way to the channel
so you can stand for waterstarts in both directions and not worry about
tides bringing you downwind as you get your sail in position.

Haskens for Flying Tigers would be good as I liked Tigers old launch due
to high wind and the ability to stand and rest on either side of the
small inlet. Water is Flat there which is nice too. Great for learning
waterstarts.

Candlestick is good if you start way upwind as you can always swim your
board in if you get blown downwind and walk it back. Just be careful to
measure how fast you can swim your gear in (don't derig) vs how far you
get blown downwind.

Crisy often sucks for waterstart learning just like Coyote due to large
wind shadow near shore.

I'd get Rhonda Smith's or one of the Gorge school's (I forget)
waterstart video....The high wind waterstart one is great for teaching
waterstarting at Coyote and 3rd with the swell/chop

Good Luck!
Kirk out

ASD epoxy: 8'8" & 9' RKT & 9'6" no-nose CS, F2 Xantos285
Wt 230#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis