Re: What happened?

From: Jon Berman (berman@cisco.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 18:00:46 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:00:46 -0700
To: Matt Yamamoto <matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Ed Scott <edscott@best.com-DeleteThis>, shred@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis
From: Jon Berman <berman@cisco.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: What happened?
Cc: Jon Berman <berman@cisco.com-DeleteThis>, The Goat Man <Feferman@Haas.Berkeley.Edu-DeleteThis>, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Ed, that was me out there with the broken U-joint. Thanks for helping! Was
it you who called the coast guard? I'm really glad they were there, good
chance I would have damaged my brand new $1500 JP board trying to sail in.
Jay was the one that picked me up at Coyote marina, he was right on top of
things. There was some confusion as after I was on the boat they were
looking for a guy in a red helmet but we figured my red vest got confused
with "red helmet" Jay heard all this on the radio from shore and was
waiting for the boat when it pulled in. I have your line in my van, I can
put it in my vest and hand it back to you in the water if we don't meet on
shore next time, I'm easy to spot, RED vest, BLUE helmet, BIG sunglasses.
Thanks again.

Jon

At 02:29 PM 7/27/98 -0700, Matt Yamamoto wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 26 1998 22:21, Ed Scott wrote:
>
>> Hey Matt-
>>
>> That was you in the channel today with those other 2 guys, wasn't it?
>> After I gave you guys that line and got on shore, the Coast Guard
>> Auxilliary peppered me with a bunch of questions. Unfortunately, I
>> didn't catch those other dudes' names. Did you have a chance to tie his
>> rig to his u-joint before the Coasties showed up?
>>
>> How come that guy didn't take the boat in?
>>
>> -Ed
>>

>Hi Ed,
>
>Yes, that was me and my friends Flavio and Jon Berman out in the channel
>yesterday. We managed to re-rig the sail, tie the mast base to the mast
>foot and wrap a mast pad around the base to protect the board. Jon was
>able to sail his board in about 100 ft before the mast base shifted on
>the board and he fell in. About that time, the Coast Guard showed up so
>I flagged them down and sent them to Jon. Jon decided to take a ride in
>with them rather than risk damaging his new board by trying to sail it
>in. I suspect he could have sailed the board in without much difficulty
>if he really needed to.
>
>The tip on tying the mast base to the mast foot when your u-joint breaks
>is something everyone should know. In fact, I believe I learned that
>tip from the wind_talk discussions.
>
>The Coast Guard took Jon to the Coyote Pt Marina (along with another
>injured windsurfer they picked up along the way). Some other nice
>Coyote Pt windsurfer who was monitoring the Coast Guard radio band drove
>to the Coyote Pt Marina and gave Jon a ride back to the old launch site
>at 3rd Ave.
>
>As for the first boat that stopped by, we had considered having Jon ride
>in with them but we waffled too long trying to decide whether to ask for
>a ride or try to sail the board in and they eventually left.
>
>Thanks for stopping by yesterday and offering help and the tow line.
>And thanks for talking to the Coast Guard also. From all the
>discussions on wind_talk, it sounds like you have been helpful in a
>number of rescues. I'm sure your efforts are greatly appreciated.
>Please thank the various other people who stopped and provided
>assistance also. It is nice to know that the windsurfing community can
>be so helpful.
>
>Later,
>-matt
>
>P.S. If you want your tow line kit back, I believe Jon still has it.
>Jon is a 3rd Ave regular so perhaps he can give it to you the next
>time you're there.

Jon Berman
Global Alliances
Cisco Systems