Re: What happened?

From: Ed Scott (
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 00:13:01 PDT

Received: from ( by with ESMTP ( 3.3+HPL1.1) id AA101330492; Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:21:32 -0700
Return-Path: <>
Received: from by with ESMTP ( 3.3+HPL1.1) id AA055020486; Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:21:26 -0700
Received: from ( []) by (8.8.6/8.8.6 HPLabs Relay) with ESMTP id AAA13724 for <>; Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:21:26 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [] ( []) by (8.9.0/8.9.0/best.out) with SMTP id AAA13905 for <>; Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
Message-Id: <>
Subject: Re: What happened? 
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:13:01 -0700
X-Mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Ed Scott <>
To: "Wind Talk" <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

>Ed, that was me out there with the broken U-joint. Thanks for helping! Was
>it you who called the coast guard?


>I'm really glad they were there, good
>chance I would have damaged my brand new $1500 JP board trying to sail in.
>Jay was the one that picked me up at Coyote marina, he was right on top of
>things. There was some confusion as after I was on the boat they were
>looking for a guy in a red helmet but we figured my red vest got confused
>with "red helmet" Jay heard all this on the radio from shore and was
>waiting for the boat when it pulled in. I have your line in my van, I can
>put it in my vest and hand it back to you in the water if we don't meet on
>shore next time, I'm easy to spot, RED vest, BLUE helmet, BIG sunglasses.

Next time I'm taking names and social security numbers. I had no idea
the Coast Guard had been called, else I would've gotten on the radio
myself - I had it with me. I figured you were going to sail it in
yourself. I also figured after passing the 8 guys down next to you and
the boat, that it was under control, and you were gonna catch a ride with
the boat. At least one sailor mentioned to me that it was control, which
is why I didn't stop in the first place.

If a self-appointed expert wants to post a rescue protocol, I'd be happy
to follow it. Given that you guys had a strobe and line, I figured
lashing it together and paddling or sailing it in was no problem.
Frankly, I thought the wind was dying and I didn't want to add another
name to the list of rescuees.


This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sat Jan 05 2013 - 02:01:50 PST