RE: San Luis Reservoir Question

From: Lev Belov (levb@pointcast.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 13:41:37 PDT

From: Lev Belov <levb@pointcast.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: San Luis Reservoir Question
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:41:37 -0700

I was there a couple weeks ago, camping for a weekend. I've never been
there before then.

1. Sailing. The wind was blowing pretty well when I was there. The
first day was a solid 5.2 (I bet I'd have done ok on a 4.7) and the
second day was an OK 6.0. I weight #220, so you can easily discount
this by .5 m2 if you're an average size sailor. The forebay is kinda
small so it's good for practicing jibes and stuff (you're forced to :-),
but be alert and don't fall down at speed as it's really shallow at
times. The weeds were not a problem when it was blowing, and were quite
noticeable on the second, 6.0 day. I'd definitely recommend having a
weed fin handy. The water was clean, much cleaner than at Coyote or
stick anyway :-)

2. Camping. The camping is OK, but make sure you set your tent as
protected by the wind as possible, as when it's windy it's blowing 24
hours a day. All the sites are on the "other" side of the forebay, not
where most people launch from, but it is not a problem as you can launch
from either side and just sail up to the usual spot. There was a
nominal charge (like $5 a night), there are toilets and drinking water
available, but no showers.