RE: is COW geting worse now that they charge $$$ for it ?

From: David St. John (david@windcall.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 12:12:04 PDT

From: "David St. John" <david@windcall.com-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Cc: <jim@windcall.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: is COW geting worse now that they charge $$$ for it ?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:12:04 -0700

> Does anyone else noticed this, or is it just me ?

It's not just you - we "noticed" too! There is no doubt: our service has
been worse over the last week than it's been in a long time. For anyone not
following the saga, the hard drive on our wind reporting machine crashed
Tuesday morning, just when we were about to launch the members' area and
start delaying the free reports. Shouldn't have been a big deal, except
that the backup system, which we had just recently purchased exactly for
this reason, failed too. And on top of that, I had to leave for a five-day
trip Thursday night during which time I couldn't work on the computer.

After driving to San Jose to pick up a third machine and pulling two
all-nighters, wind reports were back up in just under 48 hours after they
went down. And as of yesterday, except for some missing archive graphs,
we're back to the level where we were before the crash happened. Of course,
I keep telling myself it could have been worse - everything could have
happened AFTER I left on my trip. Or the backup data could have failed!

But it could have been better, too. I really don't want to make excuses.
For a paying service you should be able to expect zero down time. We can't
guarantee that, but Jim and I can promise we will do everything we can to
not let this happen again. Thanks to everyone for their patience,
especially windcall.com members.

Alain, as for your specific issues:

> the service was down for a while, their wind archives is totaly busted
> (claiming no wind or data for previous day when I know there was
> some wind),

The missing archive graphs are a direct result of the hard drive crash. I'm
in the process of rebuilding them from backup data - they should be back up
there today or tomorrow.

> and sometimes the data seems out of sync.

I don't know why this would be so. Can you give me a specific example?

>I can't even change the criptic
> passwd and you need to type it in more than I care for.

You will be able to change your password from the website by the end of this
week. We've tried to make it so that you don't have to enter your password
more than is absolutely necessary, but this is definitely the biggest
down-side of having a subscriber-based system.

> And withough tide
> information, it make you wonder if the long trip to rio is worth
> it or not.

Tide info (at least textual) will be up before the end of the month. Also
look for Mike Godsey's forecasts by the end of this week.

--
David St. John
Call of the Wind