Re: Plan something else for the weekend

From: Pierre St. Hilaire (pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 11:40:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 11:40:33 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: "Pierre St. Hilaire" <pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Plan something else for the weekend
Cc: lmorin@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis

I did not use the mid and upper level winds in my forecast because I do not
exactly know how to interpret them for a wind forecast. However all the raw
data is available at http://www.nws.mbay.net/home.html - this site essentially
gives you as much information as a professional forecaster would require, with
links to model simulations, raw data, satellite imagery, etc...

A very useful link consists in the forecast discussions available at
http://nimbo.wrh.noaa.gov/Monterey/SFOSFDSFO.html and
http://nimbo.wrh.noaa.gov/cnrfc/prods/SFOAFDSAC.html . Those rather technical
discussions offer a glimpse at the process of weather prediction by
professionals. By reading those discussions regularly and then comparing them
to the sailing conditions one can get a good mental picture of the factors
necessary for good sailing. Of course none of this amateur dabbling can
replace professional wind forecasts such as Mike Godsey's for accuracy,
but it
is a fun exercise.

Some chance of wind this afternoon but the low moves faster than first
predicted and might kill wind. However, don't miss the opportunity if it
presents itself because the week-end looks even bleaker.

Best regards,

                                        Pierre St Hilaire
                                        Interval Research