Re: Light wind sail for lil' sailor

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 18:40:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:40:44 -0700
From: James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Light wind sail for lil' sailor
Cc: mdf@sgi.com-DeleteThis

> From: Martin Frankel <mdf@sgi.com-DeleteThis>
>
> Another problem she's having is that she's always putting the boom at
> the very bottom of the opening, and even then it's sometimes too high
> (she's 5'2"). I don't know if there's much she can do about that
> except get a custom sail. ($$$)

Custom can adjust the boom cut out, but then they have to adjust the
clew grommet and it may alter the performance of the sail. I'm 6'8"
(kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum) and used to get custom
sails from Rushwind with the boom cutout raised up. But I've since been
rigging stock sails, leaving 3-4 inches of gap at the base of the mast/
mast base. This pushes the sail higher up on the mast, and gets the
boom cutout alligned with my size. This works great and I haven't given
up a thing as far as "closing the gap" (antiquated concept IMHO). So
for Darin, check out bases like Windsurf Hawaii which have a downhaul
cleat that extends below the end of the base. This was done to "close
the gap" (;-) but should work for her by getting the sail pulled as far
down on the mast/base as possible. This may help to better line up the
boom cutout for her (maybe an inch or two?).

Good luck!

~Jim Paugh Email:jpaugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis Forsyth Boards/Ezzy Sails