Saving during Coast Guard rescue

From: Eyes4Hire (Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 11:41:28 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire <Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:41:28 EDT
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Saving during Coast Guard rescue

I remember that last Fall I read rec.windsurfing posts from a sailor who was
helicopter rescued at Third Avenue and lost his gear. He sounded a bit miffed
and seemed to feel they should have taken his gear as well or that he should
not have been pressured into taking the rescue. I'm not one to second guess
the Coast Guard since they do not know if you are hypothermic or generally
unable to assess you're situation... especially since a sailor died on the bay
last year after repeatedly declining offers of assistance.

I talked with some Coast Guard Petty Officers (the guys and gals who ride the
inflatable boats) at the SFBA party on Friday and they told me that during the
3/28/98 rescues at Third Avenue they did a helicopter rescue where gear was
left in the water. They attached a strobe to the gear and a Coast Guard boat
recovered the gear later that night. I'm impressed that they took the time.
I'm sure in some cases they wouldn't stay in a hover that long when there may
be other calls pending or fuel concerns, but there is no reason that those of
us who carry strobes (which is hopefully most of us who sail more than a mile
offshore in the afternoons and evenings) couldn't strap our own strobe onto
our gear once it is clear that we have been spotted. Based on battery life I'd
guess that you'd have the one night to find you're gear, but it beats trying
to find you're gear without any clues at all.

Peter