Re: some thoughts on tendons

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 11:50:56 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:50:56 -0700
From: James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: some thoughts on tendons

> From: Jay Runge <jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
>
> I think the problem is in the knots. They never are under a load so
> they never get tight, unlike the knot at the end of a downhaul or
> outhaul. When the tendon breaks, the wet knot tied in slippery
> polyester just slips right out. I have used 2 vicegrips on a wet line
> on my universal and pulled the knots as tight as I could, and I bet
> I could walk out there now and just untie them with my fingers.
>
> I don't have a solution to this problem. Maybe a different knot.
> Seizeing the line would work (and be old-time nautical). Maybe using
> a vinyl covered SS wire and Nicropress fittings. A splice in lines
> this size is difficult, not too practical. Maybe lots of wire ties?

I had problems with mine coming untied. I pulled the knot tight and then
melted the end of the rope extending out of the knot into a mushroom, so that
it can't pull through. In fact, it kind of melted into the knot. Another
solution would be to put a couple of drops of epoxy on the knot.

Carlos used the hour glass uni. His sail didn't have any part of the uni in
it when he recovered it, so it appears the spring pin failed. He never recovered
the board, so he couldn't tell what really happened.

~Jim Paugh