Carlos' wetsuit

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 11:09:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:09:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Carlos' wetsuit

> From: Carlos Merino
> Subject: Re: what wetsuit?
>
> As you might have figured, I don't subscribe to wind_talk, so I've
> missed all questions/comments on my story. The truth is, I'm actually
> trying to forget about it!
>
> I was wearing a 5mm Pro-Motion wetsuit. It is a 3-4 year old wetsuit
> so it has some ventilation and is a bit worn out. Some of my friends
> kid me saying that it is time for a new one. I've sailed with it on
> the coast during the winter months and I never felt cold, so I think
> (I thought) it is/was still in good condition 'til that day.

In case you missed the original post, Carlos soon became hypothermic
when he lost his board - he probably would have died if his buddy had
not located him again. And yet, he felt fine during normal sailing
sessions. Dress for the water, not for the wind.

The one thing that you can adjust in the water is your headwear. It
helps a lot to carry a hood (not just a cap) and put it on immediately
if you have a breakdown. After seeing another sailor who "felt fine"
get hypothermic, I will in the future insist that anyone I'm assisting
put on my hood.

Dress for the water, not for the wind.

"I think I forgot this before." -- Steven Wright