RE: Baja notes

From: Greg Payne (gpayne@timeshift.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 12:02:31 PST

From: Greg Payne <gpayne@timeshift.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: RE: Baja notes
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:02:31 -0800

On Tuesday, January 20, 1998 11:05 AM, Kirk Lindstrom
[SMTP:kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis] wrote:
> Yeah....
> your wt (most important...if you are 100 lbs, 4.7 is la de da)

175 lbs.

> boards sailed

Hi-fly Epoxy 8'6". I forget the model name but they were last years
model and they were red if that helps. I was really impressed with this
board. Also sailed the Hi-fly Sean Ordonez - very loose and great with
the 4.7. He also had a nice 8'4" custom board from the gorge which he
said I could try. He also had plenty of gear for beginners.

> gear that was available

I'm not real sure of the sail brands but they had a big N on them (Not
Naish or North) I think maybe Northwave or something like that? They
were all new sails and some were with Fiberspar carbon booms. All on
carbon masts. Everything was rigged and ready to go on the beach. Gear
was all pretty new and nice.

> How'd you get there?

Flew to LA on United then into La Paz via Hermusillo on Aero California
then rented a convertible VW bug. Next time I'll take a direct flight
from SFO to Cabo and drive up.

> Where is it located?

A couple hundred yards south of the La Ventana campground. La Ventana is
about 50 miles north of Los Barilles (sp?) which is about 50 miles north
of Cabo San Lucas on the East Cape.

> Private landing field nearby?

I know there is a small landing field (very small) in Los Barilles.
Maybe others.

> food, cost, etc....

The package deal was about $300/person/week plus $50/day for equipment
but only for days you actually sail. The manager/owner (Steve) is a
great guy and a great cook and breakfast and lunch is included. Dinners
consisted of fish or shrimp dinners on local families' patios for around
$5 including cerveza. The operation is a small one - we were his only
guests for the week. He is working on another cabin so that he can
handle 4 - 6 people at a time. It's a new operation so I think it's not
impossible to book but once word gets out I think he will be booked
solid. He books through a travel agent in Crested Butte, Colorado. I
don't have the number with me but I can get it if anybody wants it. I
wouldn't want the whole world to know about this place but right now he
could use a little word-of-mouth and I thought I'd turn you guys on to
it.

> hey, we need vicarous wind fixes! 8)
> thanks for posting
> I'm sure it was warmer than Pillar Pt.

Yea I heard about that day from Gerry when I got back. Sorry I missed it
but glad it happened for you guys.