Maui Magic

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 22:45:40 PST

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 01:45:40 -0500 (EST)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Maui Magic

Woke up listening to the surf and palms thrashing over topical blues. Fell
asleep in our own bed safe and sound in our old familiar San Francisco town.
 Modern travel is absolutely amazing.
Sun Trips did us right, this time. They have definitely improved their act.
 The
flight was professional and painless. My equipment was no hassle except for
weighing a ton. Pretty great deal for under 3C's RT.

   side note: My theory now is to either pack your board real light and
minimal
   so obviously the handlers know its to be protected. Or, put in everything
you got
   making it impossible for one guy to get pissed off struggling with it and
take
   it out on the equipment. Anyway, my new Airwave double coffin bag held up
   the true test again.

I sailed 13 out of 15 days with the first few on the South shore playing
around
in fun swells and ankle nippers. Later in the week The trades kicked in and
some swells cooperated in making it a real party.
I sailed up at the big K and had some awesome seshes. Choosing my 8'8 light
wind wavo was the right move because the winds are often very Easterly and
off-shore at this time of year. I needed that extra flotation to get me out.
 I mostly used the 5.3/ #180 but sailed from a 4.2 to 5.6. I have a lot of
respect for the 5.6 Revo I bought
this year. For a big wave sail it handles remarkably well without getting
snagged by the white water.

Ahna got into sailing at Kanaha so I sailed there quite a few times. I
really got
wired into the upwind of 'Uppers' which I now call 'Up Yours." The waves
were
coming in at the right angle there for a couple of days where the waves were
logo to mast high and holding up with long vertical walls. Working their way
down they pitch into the shallow reef section which I now call Voodoos for
good reason.
This area is very anarchistic. A big wave peaks up and starts curving into
another spiking vertice forming a splash, pop, crackle, and snap if your
careful. You can't
sail Voodoos cautiously its like driving in TJ at night.

I grew up in Chicago and live comfortably in San Francisco in a multi ethnic
inter
social, racial, and spacial environment. I'm a 100% Polak and have been
sparring respectfully with all my other 2nd generation immigrant brethren all
my life. Thinking of myself as an open minded person truly not fond of
stereo typecasts I find that all the complaints in Hawaii about the Euros as
pejorative and overeactive. But Holy Moley, sailing in Kanaha at Lowers
during some good swell this time with the massive invasion of the Italians
that happened to be there in force for some contest or something was Some
Kind of A Spicy Meatball!
Rude was the fuel and cool was the tool for the total dude to RULE.
The waves were great with long head to logo walls breaking forever. There
are plenty of sailors and plenty of room for everyone to play and hit the
lip. Its not like the wave only breaks in one spot. There are multiple
sections that break and most of the sailors are happy to just keep it
together with a few wide bottom turns back at the lip. If you are a better
sailor you can easily maneuver around them and gain the speed to go vertical,
smack the crack, cut back, and still maintain your space. No Problemo. Its
like dancing energetically on a crowded dance floor, very possible without
stepping on toes. However, for a few assholes who think they're on the world
expedition tour or every move is a photo opportunity, well they just got to
learn some manners.
It seemed like every time I went back out to catch another wave no matter how
I tried to break the rythymn me and Alfonso were toe to toe facing each other
off waiting for the wave to jack up. Fading and fading back along with ten or
twelve other sailors he would always keep trying to stuff me back keeping me
and all the other sailors up the wave (the rightful owners) from getting to
the section. Pure unadulterated WAVE HOG. This technique was being used by
quite a few people who were even yelling at each other trying to intimidate
people from going down the line. One guy was yelling at me in Italian faster
then an Uzzi spitting bullets as I dropped down around him. It sounds
ridiculous I know, but it was happening.

Anyway, So here's me and Maximo checking the wave staring at each other and
checking the wave. It was showdown at the OK corral. No, it was a liquid
spaghetti Western. Suddenly, a gust of wind, I pulled in, and Draw!!!
 Barrelling down the wave I aimed my no-nose around his tip went vertical and
blasted up the lip and hung up there momentarily staring down the sights of
Parmesiano's Yellow F2 coming out of his bottom turn blasting back up the
wall. Another slight hesitation and I banked down steeply just missing his
board. We were in a dogfight doing the whirligigs. As the smoke cleared off
the spray me and Mr. Marinara successfully did two high speed close formation
figure 8's on a head high wave while keeping our pace up on the wave right at
the critical mass and kept going.

As fate or whatever would have it we did the same thing again on even a
bigger wave but this time we did it 4 times. I was STOKED. No hostility,
this was way cool. As we both pulled out on the shoulder far down the line I
cracked a smile at my adversary turned partner. He was playing it very cool
no smile no sign of letting on that he was just as elated, but then
I saw the spray spark his eye like a big pizza pie it was surf amore!

TD