Re: Help... I'm Getting Slammed in Waves!

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 18:50:52 PST

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:50:52 -0500 (EST)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Help... I'm Getting Slammed in Waves!

ALOHA,
I just got back myself and had lots of waves, fun, and sun except for the
last two days of rain which directed me to surf on the other 'sunny side' of
the island.

As far as the rinse cycle goes, my suggestion, Alex, is to grab one hand on
the boom and one hand up the mast pointing the mast diagonally to the wave.
 Situations are always unique, but you want to avoid putting the mast totally
perpendicular or parrallel to the face of the wave. That action can load up
the sail with so much weight that something will give usually your mast.
 Keep the board away from you by keeping your arms only slightly bent and
KEEP the board toward shore or down from the waves. If you get tangled
between the mast/ boom and your board you can easily get hurt pretty bad.

When the big guys jack up and are going to pound you I have found the best
way to hang on to your stuff is dive with the tip of the mast below the wave
while sinking yourself and the sail 2-4' deep. Hold on like crazy! I've had
to wrap the excess strap around my hand several times and it works. If you
sink that sail you minimize the roller coaster truck smashing white water
impact. Thats how surfers make it through. Most important, Hang Loose
Brudah!

Mahalo Aloha.
TD