Re: Help... I'm Getting Slammed in Waves!

From: JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM (JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 09:00:01 PST

Date: 29 Oct 97 09:00:01 -0800
From: "JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM" <JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Help... I'm Getting Slammed in Waves!

Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit Content-Type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

In Shallow water without much time hold on to anything you can, but try to get
your whole body as deep in the water as possible. This can be difficult if
the waves are sucking up. The tip of the mast pointing into the wave is
always the best place to hold as you will break less masts. Holding onto the
foodstrap lets the mast stick into the ground which can easily cause your mast
to snap. If you care more about your body than your equipment, diving under
the wave is safest, although you may have to swim a very long way to get your
equipment - waves can wash riderless equipment as long as they are breaking.

For Deep water still hold on to the tip and have it pointed at the wave if you
can get to it. If you are stuck in a large set you can stand on your sail to
keep it submerged between waves and dive down to the tip while the wave washes
over you.

Waterstart the quickest way you can.

Thanks.

Jeff Milum