Re: Reports.....

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 12:38:05 PDT

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 97 12:38:05 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Reports.....

> Can you tell more about this "Flapper?"
> Up in the gorge in July '96, Ken and some of his friends were trying out
> something that sounds like this. They (about 3 boards) were all one-off
> prototypes at the time. Basically, take a wide board, cut (like with a
> hacksaw, straight up and down, clean cut) the back off, straight across,
> roughly in line with the back of the fin, or maybe one inch forward of the
> back of the fin. Then glue a thin but stiff piece of plastic to the bottom
> of the board, with the same outline as where the original board was. Looked
> very interesting. How did the final "production" version turn out? Also,
> any idea how this patent works - like what ASD pays Ken.

Basically, the flapper is a short (like 8'7), super wide (25" center,
17" by the fin) board with the fin very close to the tail of the
board. The "flap" is a thin strip of rubber that helps keep the fin
from cavitating. The dominating characteristic of this board is upwind
ability.

I heard from another custom board builder that Ken wants the custom
builders to use the flaps so that the production companies will switch
to using them. That is where Ken will probably make his cash from the
flapper.

Crissy report 9/17. Good wind until dark (5-7:30). Died down for 25
minutes around 6:15. I rode my 7.8 and the flapper.

--
Justin Gordon                           Internet: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    415-537-3771