RE: Injury at Berkeley

From: Ross, Barbara (rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Aug 27 1997 - 12:23:00 PDT

From: "Ross, Barbara" <rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis>
To: listserv <listserv@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Injury at Berkeley
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 12:23:00 PDT

We were wondering what you were doing. I've never seen such a successful
and quick landing on the wrong side of the dock.

Yes, I do think there's a blind spot. I have a hard time seeing people who
are more directly behind me. I tend to look down and back but maybe not
back far enough. The jiber is trusting other sailors not to come down from
above or drop down from directly behind. Maybe slowing down before a jibe
allows someone behind you to catch up and become in the way. I've had the
presence of another sailor surprise me even though I looked carefully (I
thought). I try to stay far enough away from everyone so that they (or I)
can do anything they want and I'll have time for evasive action. I hate it
when people sail next to or near me on purpose (usually for the purpose of
showing me they can pass me--not the best way to chat a girl up). You never
know when I or someone else may feel compelled to turn around (too much wind
ahead, too little wind ahead, don't want to get farther away, nice wave . .
. ). Especially at Berkeley, I try to watch the traffic patterns of people
who might jibe into me, thinking all the time about people ahead of me and
what they might do. (Berkeley tends to have sailors with a wide range of
agendas: racers, slalom, bump, newbies.)