Getting into the straps...

From: jgw@pacbell.net-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 08:02:14 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:02:14 -0700
From: jgw@pacbell.net-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Getting into the straps...

Greetings...

I've been windsurfing for 2.5 years now and have seem to hit a plateau.
I cannot seem to get into the straps without encountering several of the
"typical" problems. For backgrounders, I currently sail on a borrowed
9'/120 liter Hi Tech. Btw, board seems a bit heavier than other 9'/120
liter boards. Sails are 4.7 to 5.7. I feel very comfortable water
starting, and currently spend most of my time at Candlestick or the
Delta.

I can get moving pretty good; but, I do tend to slog a bit more than I
should. There are occasions where I am moving about as fast as those in
the straps, planning. So the symptoms are these:

1. Try to get in the front strap, and I go head to wind.
2. Get going downwind to avoid problem #1, and I end up sometimes
getting the front foot in for a few seconds, but get out of control and
wipe out when attempting to get back foot in. I also end up very far
down wind.
3. Get frustrated and just sail, finally get moving onto a plane, and
feel like I'm moving too fast to get the feet in without the board
shaking like crazy... which has happened.

I've attending ABK twice and got a lot out of the first camp a year ago
[focused on water starting and learning to sail on a short board].
Second time, this last Spring, I focused on speed on the reach. I could
have used a lot more one-on-one w/more wind. Had this happened, I
believe, I may have made the break through. Is getting into the straps
usually this much of a challenge?

Any help is appreciated!