Third Avenue Report

From: Duane Sandul (sandul@astreet.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 20:08:42 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Duane Sandul <sandul@astreet.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Third Avenue Report
Cc: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, kjkaufman@aol.com-DeleteThis, duane@sandulcompany.com-DeleteThis, PCHU@epri.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, hburks@diba.com-DeleteThis, kirk_lindstrom@hpocia.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, jmilum@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, bob@unifix.com-DeleteThis, kjkaufman@aol.com-DeleteThis

Subject: "posting" at 3rd Avenue & general study update

South Bayside System Authority (SBSA) has learned that San Mateo County
"posted" the beach near the 3rd Avenue launch site for high coliform bacteria
levels on July 3rd. Follow-up sampling on the weekend of July 4th showed
acceptable bacterial levels and the posting notice was removed.

SBSA was asked if we had any information regarding the posting at 3rd Avenue.
 We reviewed the County information and the Bay and effluent data from SBSA
and City of San Mateo.

OBSERVATIONS FROM THE CHLORINE REDUCTION STUDIES

During the past year several hundred samples have been collected in the
vicinity of the SBSA and San Mateo outfalls, and in the primary sailing area
near channel marker 8A north west of the San Mateo Bridge. During the rainy
season the bacterial levels were higher than during the dry season, but no
sample ever reached or exceeded the water quality objective.

Since the end of the rainy season there has been steady improvement of
bacterial quality on the Bay.

Sampling through June in the vicinity of the outfalls shows excellent
bacterial water quality.

Good effluent quality from both plants has been maintained through July.

CONCLUSIONS

Rain events have the most significant impact on bacterial quality on the Bay.

During the dry season the bacterial quality of the deeper water of the Bay is
excellent.

It is very unlikely that the high bacterial level on the shoreline July 3rd
was related to SBSA or San Mateo effluent discharge.

FOLLOW UP

The County will notify SBSA of beach postings or closures from San Mateo
south and we will look for relationships with effluent and Bay data.