Oops...Call of the Wind

From: Mike Godsey (windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 21:26:24 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:26:24 -0800
From: Mike Godsey <windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Oops...Call of the Wind

In the Call of the Wind response to Justin & Craig's question about the
Sherman Island sensor I reversed the effect of wind direction on the
wind at the Powerlines vs the Access. Here is the CORRECT information:

WHEN THE WIND IS WSW THE POWERLINES IS BETTER BY JUST A BIT. WHEN THE
WIND IS SW THEN ACCESS IS JUST A BIT BETTER, IF THE WIND GOES EVEN MORE
SOUTH THEN ACCESS GET EVER BETTER THAN POWER LINES. IF THE WIND IS MORE
WEST THEN POWER LINES IS BETTER THAN THE ACCESS.

Mike Godsey

Original report with the error.

>From Mike Godsey, Call of the Wind, Forecaster

Craig, Justin and the CotW gang,

Here is the scoop with the Sherman Island sensors.

Our sensor and the Windcraft sensor are located between the first power
towers and the Sherman Is. Access at the south end of Sherman Island.
The CotW sensor is located on a metal tower near the road near the metal
house that looks sort of like a warehouse.

In summer thermals Rio will blow best at either the Access or the Power
Towers depending upon the wind direction. When the wind is a bit west fo
SW the access gets better wind. When it is a bit south of SW the Power
Towers are better. On a strong day a difference of 3 to 5+ knots between
the two areas is not important. But on borderline days the difference
can be critical. You can be plodding at one site while people are
planing at the other.

Since the sensor is between the two sites it is very useful when the
wind is strong. But when the wind is more borderline it can only report
the wind at its location while either the access or towers may be
stronger. Any correction factor we added would be inaccurate for one
site or the other.

Long term our plan is to have two sensors at Sherman. In the meantime
here is what I do: If the wind is 5.0 or lighter and the pattern is for
weaker wind as the day progresses I drive the length of the river and
launch where it is strongest. Hopefully that will put me at the site
with the latest wind.

If the wind is light and the pattern is for stronger winds later in the
day I go too my favorite site and belly my sail and plan to tighten or
re-rig later.

I am working on a forecast model for WSW vs. SW vs. SSW Rio winds but so
far it is not very reliable so it is not on the pager.

There is a rough draft of web site with info. about the forecasts at:
(Temporary Site)

http://metro.net/~go/accuracy.html

Incidentally our new sensor sites for the Marina/Event site, Rowena,
Swell and Hatchery look very good and have cleaner wind than existing
Gorge sensor. The one for Dougs is probably no better than the existing
sensor and will have to be used in conjunction with the Rowena sensor
for accuracy.

If you would like to help improve the forecasts send reports early in
the day about previous days actual sailing conditions vs. the forecast
to me.

Mike Godsey