Stuck 2pc Carbon Mast

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 10:03:21 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind_Talk (E-mail)" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Stuck 2pc Carbon Mast
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:03:21 -0700

I know this is a subject that many have probably discussed before but,
I've got a Fiberspar carbon 2pc "skinny" that has decided that it really
wants to be a one piece. I figure some sand managed to get in the joint
and it simply will not budge.

Let me tell you what I've tried and if anyone has another suggestion, I'd
love to hear it. Please feel free to send any responses direct to me if
you don't think the list needs to hear this discussion again.

I've tried:
1) Tying one half of the mast to my truck hitch with a logger's knot and
   then yanking (with several people assisting) on the other mast half
2) Soaking the mast joint (in case it was just crystallized salt in there)
3) Tapping the joint lightly with a block of wood (I'm afraid to use a hammer)
4) "Working" the joint by propping one end up against the garage and applying
   pressure on the joint while rotating the mast.
5) pulling, twisting, shouting, cursing, kicking the dog, .... #%^&@$%^@#*

I thought about using two booms, one above the joint, one below for leverage
to twist it but the mast top is too skinny to get my booms to clamp on and hold.

A friend mentioned pouring hot water over the joint but I don't think carbon
expands much. I probably should try it.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

David L. Veach LANQuest
EMail: veach@lanquest.com-DeleteThis
Voice: (510)354-0940 x33
Fax: (510)354-0950