have another...

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 23:12:21 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Campsurfdawg list -- David Bartolotta <david@bartolotta.com-DeleteThis>, Clay Feeter <WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis>, "Colin J. Case" <102544.2240@CompuServe.COM-DeleteThis>, "Galvan, Daniel CDT " <x01397@exmail.usma.army.mil-DeleteThis>, John Egan <jregan@aloha.net-DeleteThis>, Eric Simonsen <ESSphoto@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Flash Gordon <flash@well.com-DeleteThis>, Leah Doran <vivid@surfnetusa.com-DeleteThis>, Lisa Bauer <recycqueen@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Liz Brady <floraslk@harborside.com-DeleteThis>, Edward B Doubleday <day2@interramp.com-DeleteThis>, Patrick Hamilton <mycochef@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Steve Ulrich <stevenu@unspoken.com-DeleteThis>, Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: have another...

Day#9
======

Tony fixes the reefer.

He pulled off a sheet metal shield that protects the burner and took a good
look at it. It seems that the tube that accepts a jet of gas/air mixture
at one end and holds the flame at the other, had sagged down at one end so
it wasn't getting its full ration of propane. Prop it back up, tighten
everything down, and bingo! Cold beer here!

Now the fun really begins.
I can't remember why,
but I was looking at the Nomad's suspension...
only to discover...
a broken leaf spring...

oh what a sinking feeling.

So we fretted a while and weighed our options.
Run it as is.
Look for a replacement spring.
Take it off, go to town, find a welder.
Leave it here.
They all have pros and cons.

We drove to the fish camp to fish for parts. There were various boat
trailers there, but the springs were all too long and the trailers were all
just a hair shy of being functional anyway. All the dead cars had been
stripped of suspension long ago to make beach wheels for pangas. So we're
SOL on finding a spring.

Back at camp, it's windy - just what we need! I try one of Jonah's tri-fin
boards, 8'2, kinda wide and thick with scoops at the footstraps and a wide
square tail. I found it easy enough to ride, but either too short or too
lacking in fin area to get up and plane away the way I like, even though it
slogged to weather quite well. It didn't seem to change my wave riding, so
I went back to my 8'8 ASD, kept my 5.3, and was powered and planing. Felt
so good...

Apres sail, Tony made us a couple Super Margaritas. The special ingredient
is Damiana, a liquor made from a Baja herb that grows wild near Cabo San
Lucas. This is the stuff Henry Miller and Anias Nin used to drink in the
speakeasys. You can't get it in the US anymore, because of its supposed
psychedelic properties. The bottle is shaped like a fat female naked Budah
and the Damiana inside is the color of virgin olive oil. Get some when you
come to Baja! We had our cocktails and pupus at Campo SC, and they could
tell we had something special going on.

After dinner we set the brand new generator on the Nomad's windward side,
fired it up and plugged in. The Nomad came alive. We set up lights,
chairs, tv, chargers, and camcorders on the lee side. Video night was a
big hit. Then the tape ran down and two moons came up. Musta been
bedtime?