Baja Resumption

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 23:06:11 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:06:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Campsurfdawg list -- David Bartolotta <david@bartolotta.com-DeleteThis>, Clay Feeter <WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis>, "Colin J. Case" <102544.2240@CompuServe.COM-DeleteThis>, "Galvan, Daniel CDT " <x01397@exmail.usma.army.mil-DeleteThis>, John Egan <jregan@aloha.net-DeleteThis>, Eric Simonsen <ESSphoto@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Flash Gordon <flash@well.com-DeleteThis>, Leah Doran <vivid@surfnetusa.com-DeleteThis>, Lisa Bauer <recycqueen@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Liz Brady <floraslk@harborside.com-DeleteThis>, Edward B Doubleday <day2@interramp.com-DeleteThis>, Patrick Hamilton <mycochef@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Steve Ulrich <stevenu@unspoken.com-DeleteThis>, Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Baja Resumption

Amigos,
the saga continues.

Day #8
=======

Windy again, high thin fog, and some beautiful waves. The reefer
got colder overnight - it's down to 50 now. Better, but still not right.
Tony dusted off the coils yesterday.

I walked downtown to check on our friend Fabricio Fabuloso, but got hung up
at Camp Solo Sports. As I was checking out their board stash, all spread
out on a big blue tarp, who should I encounter but Mrs. McNeil, my newly
baptised student wave sailor. She had come in on the Nada Bus last night
with Kevin and four other hombres. Mr. McNeil says "Go for it, babe," and
happily cuts the check and cares for the kids. (He sails too.)

After the social stuff I started probing more experienced brains for
insight into propane powered refridgeration. Dr. Marv refered me to his
buddy Ivar a few camps east. I found Ivar standing in the road yakking
with a couple of his cronies. The dominant reefer theory in this camp
seemed to be that the coolant gets "separated", and the fix is to remove
the entire unit from the RV, then "roll it around in your driveway" a while
to mix the chemicals back together. I'll pass on that one, thank you, and
I walk back toward camp Nomad.

As I'm strutting down the road, a white van passes me. I catch glimpse of
a pretty brunette in bug-eye shades riding shotgun - "Hey Leah! Jonah!"
Team Santa Cruz has arrived. They pull into the prime spot on the Point
that was vacated by Team San Francisco just a few hours ago. Two puppy
trucks with camper shells also converge on the Point, and the entire crew
tumbles out: Jonah the board builder and aspiring pro windsurfer; his mate
Leah the grafix artist and camp social director; Sean the pro windsurfer
and banquet waiter from the Gorge and Maui, with his equally windcrazed
wife Jenny; Damien the globe trotting Brit that J+L met in West OZ; Rob and
Jackson, each in their own little pickups, also Santa Cruz locals. Their
buddy Reilly has been here for a week already in Campo Verde - an all green
Dodge van with green flapping awning tarp, green boards, green mountain
bike, green beer...

Team SC piles up a mountain of gear while I tell them how great it was
yesterday. I'm pretty surf-sated, so when they all get their light wind
stuff rigged I sit it out and shoot video. And some great tape it is,
for this is one hot crew. Fabricio Fabuloso snuck in there too.