Re: What to Do?

From: David DeLaRiviere (david@mistral.Corp.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 02 1997 - 09:55:28 PDT

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: David DeLaRiviere <david@mistral.Corp.Sun.COM-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: What to Do?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Dennis,

I would go down the lessons route.

You probably have all the basic elements of a jibe/gybe tapped, but
an instructor would help you pull out the missing ingredient.
You will probably only need 1/2 a days instruction, then go away and
practice on the elements the instructor pulls out.

I had instruction for the same thing, the main emphasis started on
learning to carve the board, forgetting the sail. Spending some time
figuring out at what point it is over-banked and flips out.
This is well worth doing, if you are going to fall in gybing, then
you might as well fall in, in the interest of science.

The next steps were commitment and bent legs.
If your gybes are floundering and not making it al the way round
then you are probably not committing your weight to the inside of
the turn and sitting over the back of the board. If you are getting
thrown off by chop then your legs probably aren't bent enough.
The pearl that my instructor gave me was, going into the gybe, bend
your legs, then bend further.

As for your kit, I wouldn't worry about that for the moment, its
perfectly suitable for the standard strap-to-strap gybe, and when
you get your timing sorted that flip of the cambers gives you a
monster bit of power to flatten the board off and get the sucker
motoring again.

Dave