Re: Board Locks

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 10:55:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 10:55:09 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Board Locks

> From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
> Dan Farmer wrote:
>
> > Another point worth mentioning is insurance. A few years ago, State Farm
> > changed their policy and began to cover windsurfing gear under their boat
> > policies. Full replacement (not depreciated value) coverage of two boards,
> > quiver of five sails, three masts, blah, blah, blah is costing me $100 per year
> > with a $100 deductible. If they're stolen off/out of the car it's covered. If
> > I ditch a rig it's covered.
> >
> > Hope this helps-
> > -df
>
> Insurance is the ultimate defense against thievery. Of the three people
> I know with Toyota vans, every one had their vans stolen. Every one got
> the van back minus the gear. Only one had a good renters policy that
> covered her gear at replacement cost. She is now happily sailing on
> better gear than before with extra money in the bank. That's a better
> deal than she would have gotten by unloading everything at the swap
> meet. The same thing has happened to me in the past. I don't know why
> anybody would expose $3000 to $10000 worth of gear to the risk of theft.
> If you leave stuff on or in a car eventually it will be stolen. A few
> hundred dollars up front will save you a lot of grief. That's less than
> the price of a good boom for a years coverage. Get insurance and then
> never worry about leaving your gear out of sight again. Well, you might
> miss a good day or two...

I don't know about all renters policies, but mine covers my gear 100% in
my home/garage, but in my van (on the road), it's covered upto 10% of my
policy. I'm carrying a $50,000 policy, so that's $5k worth of coverage
while on the road.

Be sure to check your policy carefully, and if you know of a policy that
covers 100% on the road, let me know!

~Jim Paugh