Fwd Question Practical EPIRB carry while Windsurfing

From: JOHRINER@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
Date: Sun May 04 1997 - 15:00:49 PDT

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 15:00:49 -0700
From: JOHRINER@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: johriner@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
Subject: Fwd Question Practical EPIRB carry while Windsurfing

This EPIRB how does it compare with other Type II 406 EPIRB.
Something was said in its description about using it with GPIB also?
It is decribed as survival in the palm of your hand. What do you think
about it for windsurfing.

Waiting for answer from ACR Electronics.

About Saftey Gear To have While Windsurfing.
Any information from windsurfers about my question presented to
ACR Electronics and the use of small personal locating beacon welcome.

Wrote To ACR Electronics
(see there web page at http://www.acrelectronics.com/index.html to see
what EPIRB types they carry and their descriptions)

I just noticed the ACR Rescue 406 PLB, do you think it has the properties
of what would be required to be able to put it in an tied to a
padded hip pack tied to life vest worn while windsurfing?

The shock resitance is what I would like to know more about.
If a fall from a fast moving sailing postion into water would be
too much for the shock resistance of this unit.

Is there a shock and waterproof test that is a standard that
exist for this unit.

The ICOM M15 I own did state that its waterproofness is
submerseable to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes.
That exceeds some standard, I think that is for 1 meter for 5 minutes.

About shock resitance, I did notice that one of the
strobe lights ACR makes stated something about shock resistance.

Is this rated on any kind of standard?

Thanks Again (ADDRESS ON BOTTOM OF ATTACHMENT I MAILED EARLIER)

======================================

JOHRINER@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis wrote:

> I have seen ACR 406 EPIRB's at the recent Boat Show in Oakland
> California.
>
> I windsurf on San Francisco Bay and was intrested about the 406 type
> EPIRB being fashioned such that it could go in a hip pack while sailing.
> While windsurfing I carry VHF marine radio (ICOM M15) inside a
> waterproof pouch and tucked inside a padded hip pack which is tied to my
> life vest. I have used the radio while in knee deep water in 15-20 mph
> wind and find it next to impossible to have understandable
> communication. If I were in an emergency I would hope that RPF (Radio
> Positioning Finding) of the US COAST GUARD wound be able to locate the
> source of the uninteligable audio broadcasting on Channel 16. Also that
> is would not be just considered background noise on Channel 16.
> I do go out boating on a small power inflateable boat where the use of
> this VHF marine radio would seem more practicle.
>
> So finally, I checked on using a type 406 EPIRB that manually activates.
> I did hear at the Boat Show that the manually activated ACR 406 EPIRB if
> it gets wet would automatically be activated. Is this true. Did I
> misunderstand something here?
>
> Although the 406 EPIRB size is aproimately 4"x5"x9" (a bit larger than
> the ICOM M15 in waterproof pouch), I belive it could be managed into a
> padded hip pack.
>
> The switch on the 406 EPIRB, is it made in a way that would be easy to
> turn on but not accidentally.
>
> Any information you can provide on the 406 type or other EPIRB is
> welcome. Please inform about the types and relative information to the
> use of the way I am considering its method of carrying in a hip pack
> while windsurfing. I do know many other windsurfers are thinking about
> this use of an EPIRB while out there. The size or other problems that
> may prevent it from being used properly are what we would like to have
> information on.
>
> Thanks Jeff
Bic Rock & Roll an Green 5.7 Gastra Freestyle (third av an coyote pt)