Wave Contest

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat May 03 1997 - 09:47:52 PDT

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 12:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Wave Contest

Waddell was windy enough on Thursday to host a few good heats, but Friday
pretty much was disappointing. In the pro's division Boyd and Matt P. look
like probable 1st and 2nd. Kevin P and Kai are in there too. Jonah Lepok is
also hanging in there and made it to the semifinals. The semis and the final
will be held today if the wind kicks in. There is a South Swell starting to
come in mixed in with a NW so the waves should be good.

Thursday, I went down and shot some video and sailed at Shotguns just upwind
from the contest area. Boyd was doing some amazing tricks and Pritchard
needs a pilot's license. The inspiration of sailing with such great sailors
is incredible. Its like the doc giving me some kind of miracle energy shot
that gooses all my sailin bones. I was jumping over the moon and smackin the
lip so hard I needed ear protection. Like Clint said, "He's a legend in his
own mind!"

Friday, I got to Wod late just when they ran the last heat of the amateurs.
The conditions sucked so bad that the sailors in protest didn't go out,
except one guy who kind of screwed up their unified attempt to make a
statement to the officials. After a bunch of dickin around the judges
decided to re- run the heat today, weather providing. There was some wind
earlier, and they successfully ran a bunch of heats but the waves were much
smaller than Thursday.

As I was saying Hi to Fabrice who had just finished his protest a comrade
came up and said that a few of 'them' were going to try sailing at a spot a
little further South. This eavesdropping sounded like secret information and
I sparked the van and hit the road. When I got there it looked pretty light,
but Suzanne went out and was making good progress. I rigged my new light air
package that I had yet to try.
At 190 I need special stuff or at least its a good excuse. My Seatrend 275
(8'11) Accelerator accelerated with the Sailworks 5.9 Revo. This setup works
pretty well. The board and sail actually crank in the waves for being so
big, but I'm 6'1 and this helps with a big sail because the turning fulcrum
is higher.

The waves were really sweet. Not to big but glassy and snappy. Pretty soon
there were about ten other folks who came down from the contest and the water
temperature was risin. These guys are hot. Glen D. was on the rocks
shooting the action. The sailing was fun, not exactly competitive, but
definitely charged. It felt great to sail in this atmosphere. On one wave
Fabrice and I were going up and down the line real close to each other. He,
of course, was just behind me in the most critical section. As we both
exited off the shoulder we simultaneously exalted a wild scream. The last
time we did this was at the point at San Carlos. It was great to sail with
him again.

Check out the activities today if the wind seems like its coming up. Even is
there is light wind the contestants will put on a great show. The
semifinals shout start around 12:30 or so.

** The names and places may have been changed to protect the innocent.
      But since the net, no one can remain innocent for very long.

TD