Re: Fri/Sat at Coyote

From: David Stuart (dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 29 1996 - 01:31:55 PDT

Date: 29 Apr 1996 16:31:55 U
From: "David Stuart" <dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Fri/Sat at Coyote
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        Reply to: RE>>Fri/Sat at Coyote

You guys are missing out on an amazing ride by detaching from the harness
lines. There is nothing like the ride you get from your harness when slamming
head over heals in high wind. The G-force from a full-on over-the-handlebars
slam is exponentially greater when your still hooked in.
I'm thinking of switching harness lines to include mountaineering hardware
that clips on. Combined with sailing in overpowered conditions with a new
giant monofilm race sail, a 16.5" blade fin, a board that has razor sharp
rails, and booms mounted as high as they will go, is my ticket to ride.

My chiropractors (all of them) and my physical therapists would all agree that
my formula works.

Although I have survived a great many of these crashes, I must confess that
due to some physical complications I can no longer enjoy the full-on
excitement of these back-slamming headers. So I do enjoy your stories, as
this is the only way today that I may enjoy "THE RIDE".

 I landed on my back on the sail, and completely shredded the third
 panel from the top.
I did about the same thing to my 6.2 last season. Took out the entire panel
above the boom. I was coming in to rig down and after the "enhancement", it
was about right ;^) But, as you noted, it's a tad noisy. I wasn't too bent
either, cuz I had been afraid, as I was sitting out in the channel amongst
torn mylar, that I'd broken my mast.