Re: Windy spot north of Rio?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Mar 22 1996 - 23:36:49 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 23:36:49 -0800
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Windy spot north of Rio?

> Has anyone else noticed that the wind model for the Bay Area shown
> at:
>
> http://sfbay7.wr.usgs.gov/~jonathan/wind.html
>
> always has a point of very strong wind activity about 50 miles
> northwest of Rio? Does anyone understand why wind would concentrate
> there, and is there anything sailable in that area?

That hotspot 10 miles NW of Rio Vista is either Travis AFB or the gap
between Montezuma Hills (across from Sherman Island) and Potrero Hills.
If it's Travis, then it's probably an artifact of that being a
measurement site. If the gap in the hills, it's probably a real model
feature, though. I see some small bodies of water in the area:
Montezuma Slough and Honker Bay. Both look like they're only 500-1000
feet wide, but Montezuma Slough just might run directly across the wind
to give 1-2 miles of flatwater reach. Access is a likely problem, though
my map indicates a dirt road coming close.

Anyone care to check these out?

"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
                                -- Kilgore Trout (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)