Re: WIND_TALK digest 185

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jan 19 1996 - 20:09:49 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 20:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: WIND_TALK digest 185

Luigi wrote:

>I don't know about the Bay, but I recall reading that the average
>water temperature along the coast is two (!) degrees (F) lower in the
>winter than in the summer. In fact, in my experience winter storm
>sailing in the Bay is not really much colder than summer sailing at
>Waddell.

and he is essentially correct. If you are an avid checker of the bouy
reports from the NWS, you will notice the the Pt. Reyes, San Francisco,
and Santa Cruz bouys are almost always in the mid 50s. In summer heat
waves there may be an occasional 60 degree reading, and in very cold
winters or in the spring when the northwesterlies are causing upwelling,
the temp may dip down to the low 50s or even high 40s. Right now the
ocean is 54-55.

The bay temp varies more widely, and the temp swings follow the air temp
trends. The further away from the Golden Gate the wider and more rapid
the temp change. This is because the water is shallower at the
extremeties, and a smaller volume of water (shallow south bay, rio) will
heat or cool faster than the large volume of water (ocean water washing in
and out at deep crissy). Bay is in low 50s now.

The coldest water I ever went in was the San Rafael canal a few years ago
in february, the time everyone's water pipes were freezing. The water
was 40F. The warmest was the Santa Venitia canal (beind Marin Civic
Center) in a july heat wave - 80F.

Yes Bottom Bob packs a thermometer.