CIAO

From: A. Cimatti (cimatti@igpp.llnl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Dec 14 1995 - 12:52:32 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:52:32 -0800 (PST)
From: cimatti@igpp.llnl.gov-DeleteThis (A. Cimatti)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: CIAO

Hi everybody,

I would like to say goodbye to all of you.

I heard many times that this year was not one
of the best for the Bay Area winds.

However, I had a lot of great sailing days
in Waddell, 3rd Ave, Rio Vista, Berkeley Marina
and Crissy, and using sails never bigger than 5.6
(although my weight is 195...). I also sailed
the Gorge and Maui.

It was a great experience for me and I was
particularly impressed by the organization
of the Bay Area sailors (windtalkers, pagers,
internet facilities, associations, beach cleanings,
swap meetings,...).

Maybe you are too used to this, but you don't realize
that this is really something special and unique.
In Europe, the only place where a similar organization
is present is southern France. The rest has nothing
comparable.

So, I am going back to Italy, and very likely I'll
come back next year, hoping to continue my
scientific collaborations with the UC (this is
the official version. The real reason of coming
back is windsurfing).

In Italy, no windtalkers, pagers, internet wind_threshold,
just the weather forecast and the ... experience and the
tricks to know if there is wind (for example, how a certain
tree moves, or calling the old man owner of a bar close
to the beach and ask "is there wind ?").

I hope I will have many days of winter and spring storm
sailing on the windy Tuscany coast and in Sardinia island.

Maybe sometimes I will post a "wind report from Italy".

A very special "ciao" to my sailing buddy Hal, and to
all the friends with whom I shared unforgettable days :
Toni, Ralf, Steve, Luigi, Roger, Alexandra.

All the best !

Andrea