Minivan Surfmobiles

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 14:05:39 PST

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:05:39 -0800 (PST)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Minivan Surfmobiles

Any comments? I'm especially interested in load-length (longest board you
can carry inside and does it obstruct any of the seating), engine size,
handling and seating configurations. I've already ruled out full-size
vans (e.g. the Econoline) cause of fuel efficiency, although I recognize
that these are extremely useful. I've also ruled out the
Vanagan/Westfalia cause they seem underpowered (correct me if I'm wrong).

Models I'm considering include the Windstar, Aerostar, Astro,
Caravan/Voyager (Grand and regular), and Villager/Quest. My first
preference would be a '96 Grand Caravan/Voyager with quad-seating, at
least the 3.3 liter, and ABS, however, these are a little pricey right
now. I want the quad seating so I can remove one seat for my stuff and
have the other free for my kid or a third passenger.

As for Strom sailing, at 150 liters I think Strom might be a little big
for these conditions, but with Republican austerity measures, I think he
sails more like 130 liters. Unfortunately, Strom can only be sailed on
the extreme starboard (right) tack and can't jibe to port. :)

     Ed Scott ShrEdding SF Bay
     shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis ..Windwing/ASD..