re:Re: equal time for Fiberspar

From: RZM1%PCs%PS@go50.comp.pge.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 13:24:12 PDT

From: RZM1%PCs%PS@go50.comp.pge.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 95 13:24:12 PDT
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: re:Re: equal time for Fiberspar

So, if Fiberspar equipment doesn't last, what does? Which masts and booms
have been holding up better than Fiberspar?

Thanks,
Rick Martyn
"Has this been a GREAT late season or what?"

----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
> From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> Nevin's response to my report:
>
> I think your report is reasonable. I should point out that it is
> true that the boom front end failures are most accute in San
> Francisco Bay area. This is a combination of improper front ends
> arriving to SF, the particular chop, and big sails in big winds.
> The warranty rate is no where near 10%-20%, even in SF bay.
> Unfortunately a broken front end is way more dramatic, un-fun, and
> noticeable than all the Fiberspar booms intact that are pleasantly
> sailing around, so it may seem that the problem is bigger than it
> is.

So, basically, Nevin is admitting that Fiberspar's cannot handle bay
area conditions. But then again, the three Fiberspar masts and two
booms that I broke happened in the light winds of So. California. So
much for the "particular chop" theory. The "big sails in big winds"
line is total Bullsh#&! Fiberspar is very active in World Cup racing,
and World Cup racers use very powerful, very big sails in a lot of wind!

Buyer beware!

~Jim