Re: equal time for Fiberspar

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 12:58:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:58:34 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: equal time for Fiberspar

> From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> Nevin's response to my report:
>
> I think your report is reasonable. I should point out that it is
> true that the boom front end failures are most accute in San
> Francisco Bay area. This is a combination of improper front ends
> arriving to SF, the particular chop, and big sails in big winds.
> The warranty rate is no where near 10%-20%, even in SF bay.
> Unfortunately a broken front end is way more dramatic, un-fun, and
> noticeable than all the Fiberspar booms intact that are pleasantly
> sailing around, so it may seem that the problem is bigger than it
> is.

So, basically, Nevin is admitting that Fiberspar's cannot handle bay
area conditions. But then again, the three Fiberspar masts and two
booms that I broke happened in the light winds of So. California. So
much for the "particular chop" theory. The "big sails in big winds"
line is total Bullsh#&! Fiberspar is very active in World Cup racing,
and World Cup racers use very powerful, very big sails in a lot of wind!

Buyer beware!

~Jim