Re: dumbarton day? good chance...

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 25 1995 - 13:16:51 PDT

Subject: Re: dumbarton day? good chance...
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 13:16:51 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

> When the fog is sitting on the hills west & south of Coyote/3d as it is today
> and the wind direction has clocked around hard to the west....the dumbarton
is
> typically blowing reasonably hard, with wind from the WNW.

> So I'm gonna head out there in a bit (330pm-ish) and see what gives. Anyone
> else?

This report is delayed by a week+ due to an immediately-after-sailing bpacking
trip to Yosemite (life sucks, I know). Anyway, got out to the dumbarton a week
ago last fri and found it blowing apparently 5.3, tho it had dropped once we
got on the water. I was joined out there by Barrett from the stanford windsurf
club who was on a 5.2. I slogged all the way across and back, getting on plane
10% of the time. He had disappeared (it was flooding :( I rerigged to 6.2 and
stayed on the 8'8", keeping a look out for barrett. he had gotten flooded under
the bridge, derigged and paddled back. He bailed for the evening
(understandable) and I headed out. Was nicely powered to slightly overpowered
(had to flatten the sail some) up by the channel marker. sailed for 1+ hr
(having a really good time) and then it dropped off some at 600p, but was
pleanty to slog it easily back to the launch. Very nice evening sail. One other
guy had rigged a 6.1 when I got off the water and he went out and tried while I
derigged. I hung out until he managed to get back close to the launch before I
left. He did make his goal tho of "I just wanna get wet" ;)

Jeff