Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 14 1995 - 10:23:22 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT)

'Bob Prevett says:'
> > I'm still perfecting a safety line between the board and the rig to prevent
> > this catastrophe from happening.
>
> Do let us know what you come up with. All of my attempts at using some type of
> safety line to hold the rig to the board in case the bolt from the hourglass to
> the cup breaks have been unsuccessful due to rig rotation. This technique would
> work for someone who makes every jibe, and whose net rig rotation at the end of
> the day is less than one revolution. Unfortunately, I am not in the above
> category.

The guys who make the Four Knots uphaul also make a waist-harness with
a metal clip on the end named a Puppy Pull. It is for a hands-free
leesh for your dog, but the thought was that you could attach it to
some line that is in turn attached to a second mast base behind the
primary mast base.

Advantages to this design are:

1) You have an emergency release at your fingertips, so if you are
trapped under the sail you can release yourself.

2) You can release yourself easily if the line wraps around the rig.

3) The Puppy Pull has some elastic qualities, so it can absorb some of
the force of the rig reaching the end of its line and pulling.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150