Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"

From: Bob Prevett (prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 14 1995 - 09:25:19 PDT

From: "Bob Prevett" <prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 09:25:19 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: "Mission control, we have a problem"
Cc: prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis

> I'm still perfecting a safety line between the board and the rig to prevent
> this catastrophe from happening.

Do let us know what you come up with. All of my attempts at using some type of
safety line to hold the rig to the board in case the bolt from the hourglass to
the cup breaks have been unsuccessful due to rig rotation. This technique would
work for someone who makes every jibe, and whose net rig rotation at the end of
the day is less than one revolution. Unfortunately, I am not in the above
category.

What I have so far:

1) Line from board mast track to star base. This will keep rig attached board
in case the base itself comes off the board. I have a spare base nut in my
safety pack to help reattach the base to the mast track

2) Webbing on the hourglass in case of hourglass failure

3) Tie excess downhaul line to mast base cup in case the cup to mast extension
clip/attachment fails.

Now all I need is some way to cover myself in case the hourglass to cup bolt
breaks and I'll have the board-rig separation issue covered.

Any ideas?

BobP

--
Bob Prevett (prevett@esd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems