Re: 3rd Report/Tuesday

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 13 1995 - 13:02:54 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd Report/Tuesday
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 13:02:54 -0700
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 06:11:56 PDT sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis wrote:
> Left the water at 4:45. Time to
> get back to work. It seemed still powered and steady then. Not a bad
> way to kill some time between two planes...

I hit the water at 3rd at 4:30 with a 5.1/Tiga 254. A little light from
the launch, which gave me a moment to evaluate the slog potential of
this new board. It took me about 30 seconds to get used to the lower
volume as compared to my Tiga 260 (74 vs. 88 l). A little more wigly,
tail a bit further in the water, NBD (140#). Was on the underpowered
side until after 5:00 when it picked up a notch. The channel swell
picked up at around 5:30. I planed all the way in to the launch at 6:15.

I'm stoked with the 254. The ride was soft in the chop, very easy to
turn, landing jumps was nice with the low volume, easy to control in the
air. The turning reminded me of skateboarding
(http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg/skate.gif). I was able to drop in on
swells in the channel without feeling like I was going to die. Generally
exactly what you'd expect from a B&J board.

The full-deck neoprene cover is great, I wish the 260 had that when
I got mine back in '93. Couple that with legendary Tiga durability and
the fact that they don't cost an arm and a leg (they can be had for
~$600 or less if you look) sold me.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002