coast report for wed 8/30, and board review

From: Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Aug 31 1995 - 09:41:06 PDT

From: Benjamin_Cristi@Novell.COM-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk%opus.hpl.hp.com@sjf-dhub.sjf.novell.com-DeleteThis
Date: 31 Aug 95 09:41:06 PDT
Subject: coast report for wed 8/30, and board review

Sailed Dav 4:30-6:00pm powered up on a 4.7. Frequent chest high sets,
got more rides than Mon and Tu combined. The kelp beds are becoming a
major pain, they're right where you want to be (in the impact zone).
About 10-15 sailors.

I purchased a Mistral SLE253 in early July. I've ridden it 11 times in the
surf, and a couple of times at 3rd, and I'm still tuning it (fin, footstrap and
mast placement). It's an 8'3" twin fin, 65 or 69 liters (sticker on board/ad
copy). Currently running 7" rainbow twin fins, the board would not point
in 4.7 or larger conditions with the stock 6 1/2" fins.

IN THE SURF: Killer board! Very loose and maneuverable going down the
line, and the twin fins allow controlled slides (spin out) off the lip. The
board feels best on a 4.7 or smaller, but is sailable on a 5.3. I definitely
recommend this board for experienced surf sailors. Get a floatier board if
your learning.

IN THE BAY: Don't get this board. Due to it's low volume and wave
shape, it's very slow to plane, doesn't point, and it's top end is slow,
relative to the typical bump and jump board.

Ben (140lbs)