Re: Gorge Report: Aug 11-20, 3rd Sunday

From: Ken Brown (kenb@hpindch.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 28 1995 - 22:01:49 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Gorge Report: Aug 11-20, 3rd Sunday
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 22:01:49 -0700
From: Ken Brown <kenb@hpindch.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Glad to hear you got some sailing in on the way home.

I stopped at Sherman Island Sunday night - it was blowing hard, so I slept
there. About 12:30, a couple insane maniacs showed up, rigged a spotlight
on their van (about 15 feet upwind of me along the levee), pointed it out
perpendicular to the wind direction, and proceeded to sail for what seemed
to be one or 1.5 hours! I decided it was not worth leaving the warmth of
my sleeping bag to see what size sails they were on, but judging from the
way my truck was moving about, I'd guess 3.7 to 4.2, depending on size.

The gods smiled on me, and I got 2.5 hours of 4.7/4.2/4.7 wind that morning
before driving home. Nice ebb, if only I could learn to handle starboard
ramps (I think I'm getting better, though!).

KenB