Re: Is the sport growing?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 28 1995 - 12:02:53 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Is the sport growing?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:02:53 -0700 (PDT)

'sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis says:'
> Is 3rd Av getting increasingly popular or is windsurfing as a whole?

Word about 3rd ave. is spreading. I don't think the sport is growing
here.

> I remember back in the early 80's, windsurfing was considered the most
> popular sport in France. An estimated 10% of the population was
> practicing the sport (that's more than 5 million). This phenomenon
> faded out when the sport became more "radical" (everything is
> relative)... Did the US experience a similar thing?

No, we never saw anything like the growth that France did. I think
part of the problem here is lack of easy access to cheap instruction.
In my opinion USWA should be working with windsurf manufacturers to
*subsidize* education of beginning windsurfers, to help them get over
the hump to where they can actually get some enjoyment out of sailing.
That investment pays back when the windsurfer gets hooked and starts
buying equipment.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150