Angel Island To Alcatraz

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 18 1995 - 12:53:57 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Angel Island To Alcatraz
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 12:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: windsurf-club@lists.stanford.edu-DeleteThis

I flew in from Portland on Wednesday, and I had the opportunity to
study the swell coming in under the Gate from about 10,000 feet. You
could definitely make out the dispersing wave pattern as the swell came
in under the Gate and worked its way out into the Bay.

It was interesting to note that the swell was biggest directly between
Alcatraz and Angel Island. If you drew a line between the two, this
would be the area of largest swell. It also happens to be smack in
the middle of the shipping lane for big ships coming in and out, but I
suppose if you are good enough to get this far out, you are good
enough to look for ships and avoid them.

Has anyone worked downwind from Crissy into this area? Is there a
launch from Angel Island's South end that would let you sail directly
into this region?

Can anyone guess why the swell would get larger in this area? I'm
guessing that the bottom is shallower in this region, causing the
swell to crest and maybe break more. The region in question might be
an underwater ridge line of a mountain chain extending from Alcatraz
to Angel Island.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150