Re: Angel Island To Alcatraz

From: Robert Novak (robertn@hoodriver.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 18 1995 - 13:32:21 PDT

From: "Robert Novak" <robertn@hoodriver.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 13:32:21 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Angel Island To Alcatraz

> It was interesting to note that the swell was biggest directly between
> Alcatraz and Angel Island. If you drew a line between the two, this
> would be the area of largest swell. It also happens to be smack in
> the middle of the shipping lane for big ships coming in and out, but I
> suppose if you are good enough to get this far out, you are good
> enough to look for ships and avoid them.

This area is refered to as "The Slot" This is one of the windiest parts of the
bay. Note: "Point Blunt" Angel island on your weather radio.

> Can anyone guess why the swell would get larger in this area? I'm
> guessing that the bottom is shallower in this region, causing the
> swell to crest and maybe break more. The region in question might be
> an underwater ridge line of a mountain chain extending from Alcatraz
> to Angel Island.

I think the waves and swell are big because of the high wind and and currents.
All of the water from the Delta and South bay flow through this area and Racoon
Straights (on the other side of Angel Island)