Re: How to jump?

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 18 1995 - 12:23:17 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: How to jump?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 12:23:17 -0700
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995 08:09:08 PDT "Booker C. Bense" wrote:

> - I thought I'd wait a day before answering as I am not a
> "looper", but I like to jump.

Here's my two cents as an improving jumper. This season I've gone from
spinning out on anything more than a chop hop to landing 5ft and more of
air.

> 1. Look for a steep piece of chop, size is not as important as angle.
> Generally there will be one tack on which the chop is much better
> aligned for jumping. At third this is going out, (port).

Yesterday was a great jumping day at 3rd. The ramps on the inside at the
high end of a flood are usually steep, and with yesterdays wind
(overpowered on 4.6 Sailworks race, 140lbs) I was in the air alot. The
direction was somewhat westerly, so a broad reach was perfect launch
angle.

> 2. Once you see a likely looking UpRamp, bear off to gain speed and
> unhook your harness. After a while, you will automagically unhook
> as you take off, but to begin with make a concious effort to unhook.
> ( If you ever jump hooked in, don't let go of the boom ever. That's
> how faces get broken. )

Since the ramps were so well formed yeterday I actually had time to
decide if I wanted to jump hooked in or not. I find at my level that
it's much harder to land the board underneath me if I launch unhooked,
although I may go higher. I usually come unhooked in the air
automatically. Maybe with more skill I'll be able to bring it back
underneath me, but starting hooked in I find it easier to stay sheeted
in. On the down side I sheeted in a-bit-to-much on one and landed not on
the front of the board, but completely nose first (as in submarine
time). Ouch.

> Get pads for your board and a helmet for your head.

YES! I'm glad I have a PFD as well to protect an old rib
injury. Hopefully I'll never land too far from my gear though because it
does slow down my swimming.

When I first started getting air I worried about landing with my ankles
wrong and getting hurt. Now I find that I just sink the board if I land
on edge, so I'm not as nervous. Remember to set your footstraps so that
only your toes stick through so that your feet will come out if
something bad does happen. Incidently I no longer sail with booties or
aqua-socks because I've found that it's easier to stay strapped in in
bare feet.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002