Re: How to jump?

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 18 1995 - 08:04:21 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 08:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: How to jump?

- I thought I'd wait a day before answering as I am not a
"looper", but I like to jump.

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Greg Payne wrote:

> I am trying to get better at jumping the chop at 3rd Ave. I feel as though
> I'm doing something wrong most of the time. I'm not sure what. I saw a
> thread a few weeks ago about jumping technique which I wish I had read more
> carefully.
>
> I have figured out that I should sheet in and pull my feet up under me once
> I'm in the air so that the board points downwind but I am having a hard time
> doing that.

- First work on getting airborne and tail-first landings. Later
you can use the wind to blow you downwind to attempt the smoother
nose-first landing. Do not land flat, you'll damage your board
eventually.

> I am not sure how to approach the wave. Do I head up wind at the last
> second, into the wave? Do I keep my back leg straight when I hit the wave? I
> see a lot of people cathing 10 feet of air off 1 foot waves. How do you do that?
>
> Can somebody share the steps/secrets to catching big air.

- I find it actually a little easier to get air off of smaller chop, I'll
explain why below.

The steps I use are.

1. Look for a steep piece of chop, size is not as important as angle.
Generally there will be one tack on which the chop is much better
aligned for jumping. At third this is going out, (port).

2. Once you see a likely looking UpRamp, bear off to gain speed and
unhook your harness. After a while, you will automagically unhook
as you take off, but to begin with make a concious effort to unhook.
( If you ever jump hooked in, don't let go of the boom ever. That's
how faces get broken. )

3. When you get to the UpRamp, dig hard and pull yourself off the
water with your sail. It's not really a sheeting in motion, but more
like pumping. You'll need practice to figure out your board/fin and
how hard you can turn without dumping speed. That's why I find small
ramps easier, since you're less likely to dump your speed before you
get to the top of the ramp. I don't think having your legs stiff is
as important as getting a really good pull against the sail. You want
to pull the sail down on top of you. The more horizontal you can
get the sail the further you will fly and the safer you will be. Very
bad things can happen if the sail gets beyond vertical while you're
in the air.

4. To begin with in the air, just concentrate on getting the tail
down first and how high you are getting. If you get too much air
and decide to bail out, don't do it half-way. Push the boom away
from you and leap to windward. It will be a while before you're
getting enough airtime to have the choice of bailing out anyway.

5. You'll land in a perfect waterstart position. Waterstart and
start looking for your next upramp.

- Don't worry to much about sailing away from your jumps to start
with. Concentrate on "getting air", once you're getting high enough
you'll have time to manouevre in the air and land on a more downwind
course. Get pads for your board and a helmet for your head.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis